This week we have taken inspiration from @minimalistbaker to create a delicious and healthy curry. It takes around 20 minutes from start to finish but you can short-cut by using pre-cooked quinoa and pre-chopped vegetables. The below makes enough for four people and comes in at well under £5 per person.
- Begin by washing the quinoa thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer.
- Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for 3 minutes. Add 1 can light coconut milk and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light, fluffy and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside until serving. (You can short-cut this step by buying ready-cooked quinoa)
- In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, broccoli and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cayenne (or chili pepper), veggie stock, coconut milk, another healthy pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the snow peas and tomatoes in the last 5 minutes so they don’t overcook.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve over coconut quinoa and garnish with basil, mint and Sriracha sauce.
1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
1 small onion, diced (150 g)
4 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
1 Tbsp (6 g) fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
1/2 cup (45 g) broccoli florets (or green bell pepper), diced
1/2 cup (64 g) diced carrots
1/4 cup (45 g) diced tomato
1/3 cup (28 g) snow peas (loosely cut)
1 Tbsp (8 g) curry powder
Pinch cayenne or 1 dried red chili, diced (optional for heat)
2 14-ounce (396 g) cans light coconut milk (sub full fat for richer texture)
1 cup (240 ml) veggie stock
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 14-ounce (396 g) can light coconut milk
1 cup (170 g) white quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
Garnish with fresh basil, crushed mint leaves and Sriracha sauce.
CALORIES AND MACROS
Serving size: 1/4 recipe Calories: 434 Fat: 25.8g Saturated fat: 21g Carbohydrates: 41g Sugar: 7.2g Sodium: 628mg Fiber: 6.4g Protein: 10.2g